[at-l] RE: Backpack? Gregory Whitney?

When I was on the AT in '92, there was a Swedish/Norweign/Finnish guy on the
trail.  People at Amicola swore that his bag weighed in at 100 lbs.  And
that he took off like he had on a daypack.

True?  Maybe.  I know people (most ex-Special Ops and some weight lifters
and firefighters) who probably could do it.  And in a country as forested
and rugged as Norway and other parts of Scandanavia, people might do it
regularly.  I wouldn't even though there are things I DON'T WANT to leave
behind.  ((Hmm... I wonder if I can get the OED in my pack?))  And I
wouldn't pack in a battery TV to watch WHEEL OF FORTUNE as one guy did.

And I know big, rugged looking people who probably could not carry 30 lbs.

All the advice is good if you realize that no one piece of advice will suit
everyone.

William The Turtle

PS	I remember someone in the information booth at a con telling a girl
that all she had to do was follow the red arrows.  I then offered to take
the girl to where she wanted to go.  She was blind.  Actually the
information lady was also blind and so she did not see the dog.  But most of
the time "follow the red arrows" was good info.