-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Arthur Gaudet
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:02 AM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: Paul Nickodem; Beth Wheeler; Dingle Hat Trick; Baltimore Jack Tarlin;
Bob Peoples; Hungry Tortoise; Robert Rubin; Snoop; David Hannibal; Hiker OX;
Jeremy Reiter
Subject: [at-l] Kramer the hiking dog, RIP

Any 1997 hikers might remember Kramer, the dog hiking with Ken Wheeler. They
were known as "Hook and Ladder" on the AT. They attempted a late season YoYo
but were caught in Maine snows in November of that year.

Kramer passed away last week, from cancer that caused internal bleeding.
He'll be missed by Ken and Beth (Stuck Teva) and by many hikers. For those
who know me it might seem odd that I'm waxing sentimental over a dog. But
the relationship these two had was something I just haven't witnessed before
(or since), and I have to admit that Kramer got me past a whole lot of my
dog phobia.

As a part of that change, in the Fall of 2000, I was looking for Ken & Beth
to go for a dayhike to the top of Cannon Mtn, in NH. They were both busy but
said Kramer asked if he could go. I picked him up in Plymouth, NH, where he
was ready to hike with his food and water in a pack. Heading North he sat up
front staring at the mountains, on the trail he stayed on-leash the whole
time without complaining and started whining only when we headed back to the
car.

--RockDancer