[at-l] Hammocks

----- Original Message -----
From: <ARTCLOUTMN@aol.com>
To: <atrailhiker@adelphia.net>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Hammocks

> In a message dated 7/7/03 8:13:00 PM, atrailhiker@adelphia.net writes:
>
> <<  I am afraid of one coming around me while I'm sleeping and I'm inside
> this hammock. >>
>
> Do you really think a tent is safer than a hammock when it comes to bears?
> The hammock is likey to be more safe because you cannot put your pack
inside
> and therefore are not apt to have food in the hammock.
>
>                                             Art

I've never been bothered by anything in my hammock except inconsiderate
jerks who arrive late and decide they want to check out my hammock closely
by flashlight (Shut off the *&%#$* light! I'm trying to sleep!). So I now
take into account how visible I will be to other campers arriving after
dark. Stealth hammocking is good. I don't worry about bears. Tent vs.
hammock? Frankly, neither will hinder a 400# bear if it decides to see
what's in there.