[at-l] Maine Questions - Andover Guest House or Pine Ellis B&B,AND terr ain north of Mahoosuc Arm

>"... Any recommendations (pro or con) between the Andover Guest House and Pine
>Ellis B&B?"

No. Both are fine establishments. But my favorite hostel in the area is The
Cabin. The proprietors are Earl and Margery Towne, who have hiked close to 1,000
miles of the AT, and are active trail maintainers. Earl helped build the East
Branch Lean-to and has been the primary utility person for the first 60 miles of
the 100-mile-wilderness, since 1996. Whenever a report came in of an offending
blowdown, over full privy, or other problem, a phone call to Earl resolved the
problem quickly.

It's a family tradition. When my sister and Earl were married at a New Hampshire
lean-to on the AT one wintry March Day (We all snowshoed in, including the
minister.) before saying "I do" Margery reminded Earl that trail maintenance was
part of the contract.

As for camping space between Speck Pond and Grafton Notch: I'm sure one could
find a rough campsite, but it's basically straight up hill from Speck Pond to
near the Old Speck summit and then down to Grafton Notch. Call The Cabin ahead
of time and they will pick you up at the notch, provide a bed, supper and
breakfast, and drive you back to the notch in the morning.

I think at least one of the other hostels will provide the same service, but I
don't know the details.

 Weary