[at-l] RE: Off Topic-why? I don't know

That gun quote is old and goes way back in the gun community.  I think it
may have originated in the South.  I use to see it or something similar on
posters and souvenir auto-tags:  There would be an gray-bearded old
Confederate soldier saying something like that: Confederates often had their
guns confiscated after the Civil War.  The gun owners picked it up later.

And when I use to be into "guns" I would see it and modifications of it in
all sorts of pro-gun mags: Soldiers of Fortune, Shotgun News, and even knife
magazines.

I still love guns and gun history, but I have modified my views somewhat.
Basically because some of the pro-gun views make no sense.  Who needs a
fully automatic AK-47 to hunt deer or to target practice?  As for
self-defense, a shotgun is way better than most handguns, etc.  And a good
dog is even better: One friend's dog latched on to a sensitive part of a
home invaders body.  Can y'all say OUCH!!!!  Plus too many people are not
really prepared to safely use a gun for self-defense: I know of a person who
shot a family member -- his daughter sneaking back into the house -- and he
was trained to use a gun.  And I have had cops tell me they hope they never
have to fire a gun in anger.  Combat shooting is different that regular
shooting.

Besides, books give you knowledge and birth to ideas.  I have learned a lot
from books.  In fact I was a good bouncer because I could cool situations --
usually -- without resorting to violence.  You'd be amazed at how easy it is
to lead a drunk by the nose once you confuse and baffle them with BS and
facts.  And, for those who could not be lead off their path, I learned honor
has nothing to do with such situations: Hit first and in anyway possible.
Plus,   I learned about the AT from a book.  So they are a much more
dangerous weapon than a gun.

So...  They'll get my book when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

[William Neal]  -----Original Message-----