[at-l] Headlamps.

Red,

Reference your posts, dated 7-2-03, trying to distinguish between differing
headlamps.

I am not a headlamp person.  I own two of them.  I received REI member
dividends - - I didn’t need anything else - - so, on two separate occasions
before my dividends expired, I picked up a “cheap” trinket.  You know,
something sparkly and cute.  Little boys never really grow up, not really.

As I said, and I’ll quote myself here, “I am not a headlamp person.”  I
consider falling over your feet on rocky ground during darkness to be an
easily avoidable stupid hiker trick.  Find a campsite before dark.  I
recognize, however, that you will typically be making camp, and perhaps
breaking camp, in the dark when hiking in winter.

The first headlamp had great specifications, lasted forever, had twenty-five
types of light sources, and eleven different battery types, etc.  Well, it
adds a ton of weight to your head and isn’t balanced.  Bad, bad, bad.  I’ve
forgotten the name and model.

The second headlamp is a Black Diamond.  It was the only one they sold, and
may still be the only one they sell, which has a battery pack (the heavy
component) which dangles from a lightweight carrying strap.  The beauty of
this device is realized during cold weather.  Low temperatures suck the life
from batteries.  This headlamp permits the battery pack to dangle within
your clothing, thus keeping the batteries warm and lengthening battery life
greatly.  The battery weight is supported by your shoulder, or neck, or
shoulder straps, etc.  Black Diamond took advantage of this; the battery
pack contains several batteries, but their weight isn’t bearing against your
head .  If you want to read or play cards all night, you can rest the
battery pack beside you (if it’s not cold that night), or on your lap,
transferring the weight from you to the ground, mattress pad, or shelter
floor.  It has two different and separate kinds of light, etc, but the best
feature is, I believe, the interior battery carry.

I also dislike holding my flashlight in my mouth when the weather is cold.

Steve