[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 3,Issue 2 In regard to Spitting on the Sidewalk

 In a message dated 7/2/03 1:56:01 PM, nealb@midlandstech.com writes:

<< Do you know why some streets (especially in

Europe) have the 2nd floor jutting out over the 1st?  Think no garbage

pick-up.  Think no good sewer system.  They just threw the "night jar" out

into the streets from the 2nd floor.  NOW that's disgusting. >>

That is true of colonial America.  Sewers are a pretty recent thing for many
older towns.  I grew up in Marblehead, Mass.  Tucker street is only wide
enough for one carriage to pas thru.  It was known as Shit'n hill many years ago
because it was nearly impossible to avoid the bed pans when walking down the
street in the morning when they were emptied.  The didn't know about LNT.  My
father used to tell me stories about incidents that occurred in that part of
town.

                                            Art