[at-l] Gleaming thread

A lot of place won't allow that.  They are afraid of law suits.  Even in
places that have "Good Samaritan protection" laws.  One Hardee's manager I
know would "get tired and busy" and leave the hamburgers just tossed off the
line in a sturdy trash bag just outside the back door.  Somehow all the
other trash would get taken out to the dumpster.  Then the black bag would
mysteriously disapper -- in a friend's truck. And I occassionally picke up
"left-overs" at the "homeless" luncheon I help with: We end up with so much
bread that most gets tossed to the animals at the local zoo.

Oh my gosh!  I just realized I am doing some poor elephant out of his
sunflower seed buns. :-)

And at a major SF con, I got a free backpack left in the dealers room.  A
real expensive European BP.  At least the airline tag said it came from
Norway.  Plus a bunch of other stuff there was no way to return.  Either we
tossed it or we took it.  The thing I regreted most not being able to return
was the two bottles of brandy.  Sighhh... That was a real treasure for
someone to lose or to toss out. ;-) Plus the two big packs of sweet buns to
gnash on while driving home.

William, The Gleamer Turtle

PS  SPEAKING OF WHICH: What is the best "trash" item any of you have found
and used in backpacking?

For me it was a gift from my friend. My friend never uses the tiny catsup
and mustard packs that came with their hot dog and hamburgers.  And I had a
huge bag of those for some walkabouts.  They still save them for me.  Plus
they have a funny taste bud system and sometimes use a lot of peper and
salt, and sometimes none.  So they give me lots of those.