Looking for furniture? (was) RE: [at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 37 Reply to "Kelly Sue" re: AT

No furniture?  If you live near a college, look around the streets where the
students live.  Often they will abandon good furniture and things.  At my
apt. bldg. I recently saw a computer, two TVs, some dishes, clothes, etc.
And nearby I saw a bunch of other goodies next to some abandoned wicker.
And one of my former co-workers has picked up great electronics at my bldg.
and put together computers, etc. that he sold.  One just had a floppy stuck
in it.  I think a lot of the abandoners are students with "rich" parents or
foreign students for whom it is cheaper to abandon than to take with them.
The best time to look is Friday through Sunday since this seems to be the
time most students move in-and-out: Some get rid of things when they move in
and find they don't have enough space for great aunt edna's whatchamacalit
-- which is now sitting beside my arm chair -- which I got for free.

William, The Junkyard Turtle

PS    My Dad did not need the money, but he went dumpster diving just to
have stuff to trade, swap, etc.  It was a hobby.  He even found an abandoned
icebox: A real icebox that cooled by putting ice in the top compartment.
Stripped of the years of paint, it made a nice antique.  And I got a neat
weight bench that someone tossed -- that was back when I was seriously into
weight lifting.  Now all I lift are McDonald's and Krystals.