[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 37 Reply to "Kelly Sue" re: AT

So you've got a big old house with no furniture.  Well, don't go up on the AT
and start choppin' wood (does this make it AT related?).  Instead find out
when people are supposed to throw out old furniture in your community.  In NYC
it is on Thursdays.  I had a friend who furnished his summer home (an old
school house he bought with a friend in upstate NY) with thrown-out stuff.  He
found a table with a broken leg and another table with a gash on the table top.
He exchanged the legs and he created a new table (I don't know why he kept the
top with the gash).  Some of the furniture people get rid of is in pretty good
condition.  Some of it needs overhauling. It takes time but no one knows
where you got it when it is finished unless you tell them.

If you need outdoor furniture then get thee to a dump on Cape Cod or Shelter
Island or the Hamptons at the end of summer.  The things people throw away!
Nearer to Florida are those places where people rent for the winter (I think
they are called snow bunnies) and when they move out collect their throwaways.
Look for broken furniture at furniture stores and fix what is fixable.  If you
have a buck or two visit the thrift stores and buy something special.
Furniture liquidators sometimes have bargains.  The military installations may have
a dump where people leave their furniture when they move on to another
assignment.

Hope this will save the forest!

Skylander Jack