[at-l] who, where & why

Who: Papa Bear.

I am recently retired from a career in computer programming and administration.  I was a pretty stable sort of guy: in my career I only worked for two companies: a university (which I left when my kids were ready for college and I needed a paying job) and a bank.  By training I am a physicist, having received my PhD in 1970, at which time I left the field of physics and went into computer administration.  I have been married for 37 years, have 2 children and one grandchild.

My name: given to me by my team mates on the 1997 Hood to Coast Relay across western Oregon.  This event was one of the most fun of any of my running adventures.

Since retirement I have been able to devote most of my energy to my main pursuits: running, hiking and music.

Running: I have run about 1 marathon a year for the last 14 years, most recently my fourth Boston Marathon this spring.  Usually when I'm not hiking, I'm running.  Winter and spring seem to be my running seasons and summer and fall my hiking seasons, although there's lots of overlap.

Music: I sing regularly in choruses and my church choir.  I love and listen to classical music. I especially love "early" music (generally music the pre-dates Mozart) and have in the past played in and led a small early music instrumental group.

I love both the city and the wilds.  I believe in the potential for a good life in my city (NYC) and strive to turn the present less-than-perfect reality into something closer to it's potential.  Likewise I work with various organizations to return the wild lands to their more natural state for our enjoyment and for the enjoyment of future generations.

Hiking: I have always loved the out-of-doors and started hiking with my dad very early on in the Blue Hills (near Boston).  I have often organized groups of co-workers and co-runners on day trips and overnights and hopefully have given a few of them the spark.

The AT: I have wanted to hike the AT since I first heard of it in high school in the 1950s.  At that point it started on Mount Oglethorpe, which puts that in perspective.  After retirement I could finally get back to this desire and in the last two years I have hiked about 850 miles of the trail, all of it north of Harpers Ferry.  I have some miles in Maine and in Pennsylvania left before completing the northern part.  I have no interest in thru-hiking.  The world is too full of things to devote that much time in one piece to one idea at this point in my life.  I may or may not complete the entire trail some day. I'm more concerned with getting the most out of every day and every mile than in checking off another accomplishment.  I do admire thru-hikers however for their dedication and perseverance.  I can identify with that when I'm training for a marathon over a six month period.  I look upon the AT as a structure or a motivating idea to get me out there and enjoy the out-of-doors. Hiking it has forced me to experience many areas I would not otherwise have ventured into, which helps balance the over used "top ten" hikes or "five best" mountains.  It has also opened up many adjoining areas for further exploration and enjoyment, particularly (for me) in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Out the window: a lovely tree lined playground between a couple of apartment buildings.  Where I live is one of the best spots for urban living that we have found (that we can afford).  If we had tons of money maybe our second home would be in northern New England.

I have a web site which is mostly dedicated to running and hiking.  It may give a little more of my "flavor" than can be done in this note.  Check it out:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/papabear.html

Pb