[at-l] Rural areas of NY State

Cal writes that he lives in a rural area of NY State and that NYC people
think that the state is all citified.  Well, I live in NYC and we have rural areas
within the city.  We call them Parks.  In every borough (similar to a county
in other parts of the country) there are at least two or more parks in which
to hike and get away from the "mean streets."

In addition (if one does not have a motorized vehicle) there is a
transportation system which will bring one to the Appalachian Trail within an hour of
travel.  The train does it on weekends with a stop right on the AT or during the
week a train to Cold Spring, or Garrison, NY will enable a hike to the AT via
connecting trails and roads.  The Port Authority has busses which will take
people to Bear Mountain State Park through which the AT passes.  Also there are
buses which will transport people to the AT along Route 17 or Route 210.  No
problem getting out into the "Country."

As far as Depression is concerned there are many opportunities for getting
into that state of mind.  Besides the personal problems that people face such as
financial, family issues, personal achievement issues, inter-personal
squabbles, vocational disruption, and physical illness/mortality issues, etc., there
are world issues which may seem insurmountable to some.

Someone mentioned chemical levels in the brain.  The synapses require a
certain amount of Seratonin in order to function properly.  For people who lack the
ability to control the flow naturally there are medications which assist.  If
medication is discontinued then like a diabetic without insulin the disease
takes over the system.  Even those who may get an endorphin rush from exercise
may suffer from the lack of necessary chemical balance in the synapses which
govern nerve functioning.  This does not come on "all of a sudden" but is
gradual and may go unrecognized by the individual until that darkness takes over
and life is seen as too much to bear.

Someone said that it is the responsibility of the individual to not commit
suicide or to do themselves in, but would you say the same about someone with
another systemic disease (diabetic, cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease,
etc.)?  If someone is bent on dying thee is nothing to stop that person but
usually the suicidal ideation expressed and suicidal gestures observed give
friends and family the ability to intervene with a call to 911 or their local
hotline.  Intervention is the responsibility of anyone who notices health
termination issues.  Actually, ideation and gestures are indications of someone in
trouble and crying for help.  People who notice need to respond to the cry.

I wonder if those who actually commit suicide on a trail or after hiking a
section, do so because they have come to the realization of failure and cannot
bear facing those to whom they have announced a goal and yet, have been unable
to continue as planned. Reading some of the journals of those who had to
terminate their hike on the AT indicates a very strong sense of shame.  One person
said that the could not go home and hid out with friends for a week before
conceding that they had failed.  Another went home and was told that since the
family had spent money on the gear that they had to get out and finish what they
had started.  After attempting another start they again decided that they
could not continue and when asked if they were going home replied, "I am going
anywhere but home."

Hiking in the woods for me, is a pleasure.  I can get that pleasure from the
Parks in NYC or from the trails which lie within an hour's bus ride.  It lifts
my spirit and gives me strength.  But that is me.  Others may want to
accomplish their hike and when they think that they have failed they may feel great
shame.  Still others feel that by going on a trail they will escape their
illness.  Denial will not help one who has a disease no matter how much they want
to escape.  Facing the situation and getting the proper medication will go a
long way toward maintaining health.  It doesn't matter what disease one has.

Now if it is just a personality disorder then group therapy works best (with
some individual reflection) and the AT is just the place to go, as long as one
is open to change.

What do you think?