[at-l] Smoking smoke and smoke and smoke

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:22:18 -0400
From: "Dave Hicks" <daveh@psknet.com>

Ah the memories.
Some of the most anti-smoking folk I knew back at the workplace
wore perfume / use hair spray / etc which caused me a major
sinus reaction and headaches.
### Ain't that the truth.

They would wax on about more stringent anti-smoking laws being
enacted, but scoffed at any request that they tone down their
personally preferred air pollution.
### Yep. Seen it here in Hoosierland, seen in north, in New
England, yada-yada-yada.

Sly hits the nail on the head.  One more round of the "If I do
it / like it, then it is OK; but what I don't do / are not
comfortable doing / don't like/ etc. should be condemned,
outlawed, etc.
Chainsaw
### (Oops. Forgot to copy that summary thought from Sly, but
"Why: Woodsmoke OK, but Ciggy smoke not?!") Actually, I disagree
that there is anything inconsistent. Here's why: I *hate*
cigarette smoke -- based merely on the way it *smells*, and I
*like* most campfires -- again based merely on the way it smells
(and makes my clothes smell).

### But I would never legislate that. But let me throw in a more
material factor: cigarette smoke (and 90% of cigar and pipe
smoke) close my bronchial tubes right up. As do (probably) 50%
of colognes, perfumes, hair sprays, spray deoderants, etc. I've
also noticed that, although most campfires do *not* close up my
lungs, some do. (It happens pretty quick -- it's not something
that takes a while to notice.)

### The best theory I can come up with is related to ash: the
finer the ash, the more likely the smoke will hit my lungs.
"Good" fires -- that burn easy, with little tending and limited
"pop" and hot coals -- also tend to not bother my lungs. I've
certainly stood in the path of smoke often enough. And "poor"
fires -- junk wood, grasses, softwoods, etc -- hit my lungs
quickly. As does ciggy smoke. (And even then, come ciggy smoke
hits a *lot* worse than others. Choking bad, the whole deal.
I've also had friends smoke *in* *my* *car* and not had it
bother me. Something in the brand.)

### I have *no* idea what the analogous smell-juices factor
might be, but some perfumes -- especially cheaper ones -- don't
bother me at all, while 'spensive stuff just grabs me by the
throat even worse than ciggys. (Way worse, come to think of it.)

### BTW, I get to think about this every day. I work in an
office environment (full of smell-juices cheap and exotic, light
and painted on), and have to run past all the smokers outside to
pass through the doors (the so-called Cancer Gauntlet). Every
frikin' day.

Smoketoe