[at-l] Trails as charity?

OB wrote:
>Well, your message with the fantasy of vigilante justice was still
>consistent with your prior statements. I appreciate your consistency over
>hypocritical boasting of liberalism. I also appreciate your willingness to
>research the question.
>
>BTW, the posted message/parsing by Weary was to an off-list message. Weary
>was wrong in netiquette and fact.
>
>'Nuff said

OB -
I understand where you think you're coming from.  I also understand some
things that you apparently don't.  One of which is that there are people out
there who WILL hurt you or your kids or your wife - or others that you care
about - and they won't wait for the cops to show up and stop them or for the
cavalry to come riding over the hill and come to your rescue.  I know - you
know that.  But you only know that on a "head" level - intellectually.  I
know that on a "gut" level becasue I've had to deal with it - more than
once.  You learn that lesson quickly when a man points a .45 at your head,
says "Die, honky" and pulls the trigger.  Let's both hope you don't have to
learn the lesson that way - surviving the situation is right chancy.  I
don't deal in fantasies of vigilante justice.  I deal in reality.  Theres a
small difference.

The second thing I know is that what you believe is justice - isn't.  In
this country we don't live with a justice system, regardless of the label
that's put on it or what you believe about it.  If the Justice Dept were
about "justice" then more than one person would have fried for what was done
at Waco.  No, my friend, we live under a system of law - man-made law.  And
the laws doesn't always make sense.  In fact, the laws at the time supported
some of the lynchings that you rightfully decry.  Today, the laws support
different inequities, inconsistencies and injustices -- that others will
decry 20 or 50 years from now.  The law is variable - justice is constant -
and rarely encountered.  So don't judge my justice by your law.

Walk softly,
Jim