[at-l] who, where, & why

I have though long and hard about how I would reply to this
challenge.  I could be flippant (I am with the Centre
Director), I could be cyanical or I would try to give an
honest answer without bragging. I can think of several
defining moments in my life and they helped to shape me into
the person that I am .  The first was when I was a freshman
in high shool.  My english teacher introduced me to e.e.
cummings.  To this day I emjoy poetry and among my favorite
are Robert Frost, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and William Blake.
While I was in high school I wanted to be a Blake Scholar.
Not a wise choice as there are problem 15 of them in the
world and they are also unemployed.  I also wanted to be a
poet andactually sold a poem back in 1962!!  Fortunately I
did not become one as I would have straved to death.  Years
Later Irea Thorigins of Knowledge and Imagination by Jacob
Bronowski.  This book was based on a series of lectures given
at Yale University.  He turned out to be a big fan of Blake.
This has been a true inspiration to me.

The second defining moment in my life was my marriage, 34
years ago, to my wife.  I would like to say that it has been
a wonderful 34 years, but there were plenty of hard times.
In the end the marriage has survived and we have grown with
it.  We have two wonderful children , a daugther who is 23
and a son who is 21.  I really enjoy my children thought they
too have caused stress in my life.  To quote William
Wordsworth:

My heart leaps up when I behold
              A rainbow in the sky:
          So was it when my life began;
          So is it now I am a man;
          So be it when I shall grow old,
              Or let me die!
          The Child is father of the Man;
              I could wish my days to be
          Bound each to each by natural piety.

So what else can I tell you about myself.  I am a chemist, I
have a PhD.  I have lived in two foreign countries (Canada
and Vietnam),  I spent several months in two others (Cambodia
and Mexico), I have been to all fifty states (that is 52
states for those that live in florida).  I hate television,
don't like movies, like all types of music except new age,
read just about anything except romance novels.  Used to be a
whitewater Canoeing instructor, a white water rafting guide
and of course I spend a lot of time walking and hiking.  I
also volunteer time for trail care, conservation work with
the nature conservency, and the wildlands conservency (they
are trying to protect the Lehigh River Watershed).  I also
work with a number of youth groups, though recently more and
more organization are doing police background checks and the
organizations I work for have suddenly discovered that I have
an interesting police record from the sixities.  I worked
voter registration in the south and arrested at many
different protests in the Washington DC area.

My Mottos are many and varied but the one over my desk is
more valid today than it was in the sixites.  QUESTION
AUTHORITY.  Anotherone is NPWA  NO POWER WITHOUT
ACCOUNTABILITY.  Well enough of this.  My boss wants me to
complete my power point presentation that I am making this
saturday.

Bob Dudley
aka Grey Owl