[at-l] who, where, & why

I write from my computer which is in the room adjoining my bedroom.  I
live alone in a huge 5 bedroom house, so have taken over two of the
rooms as my "suite".  House was built in 1800 as the Kearsarge Tavern
(and Inn).  Mary Todd Lincoln spent a summer here - yes, I sleep in the
Lincoln Bedroom <G>  The floors upstairs are incredible - pine boards as
wide as 28 inches! The house is on the north end of North Conway, NH
(for those of you who know the town, I'm less than a block's walk from
EMS and IME), but the wonderful view to the north of Mt Washington that
you get from other places in town is blocked by some tall trees across
the street.   If I look through the door to my left (west) and on
through my bedroom, I can see the Moat Mts.  The new ballpark is right
across the street (north - under those tall trees) and every evening I
hear the sound of kid's voices and the crack of the bat as little league
is in full swing.

I am not alone here this summer, however, as my college daughter is here
for a couple of months. She was born and raised in VA, and still goes to
school there (Wm & Mary), but I moved up here to NH a year ago. Her
older brother still lives and works in VA. It is nice to not be totally
'empty nest' for a bit, although I'm really enjoying my 'grown up' kids.
  At 45, I'm thoroughly enjoying this part of my life - I let my ex's
likes and dislikes dictate too much of my world for too long.  He wasn't
a hiker.  So we didn't hike. That's probably what went wrong <G> I did
my first backpacking trip (across the Grand Canyon) when I was 13, and I
was hooked.  It needs to be a regular part of my life.  So - if there is
ever another man in my life, he'll have to be a hiker!  Or be prepared
to be hiker support person <G>.

I've been an Episcopal priest for 9 years.  Just out of college I worked
for an environmental engineering firm (sanitary sewers) for a little
bit, and then spent 12 years in restaurant work (mostly waitressing, but
also bartended and worked in the kitchen) before heading to seminary.  I
serve the church here in North Conway, as well as the one in Bretton
Woods (two miles west of the Crawford Notch AMC construction site).
There are much worse places to have to commute!

I started peak bagging with Art Cloutman last July and have managed to
pick up 9 of the 4000 footers.  More to come this summer and fall.  And
hopefully, I'll be ready this winter to begin doing some in the
wintertime.  I'm an AT section hiker, am making plans for the Long Trail
in August '04, and trying to figure out how much of the PCT I can do on
my sabbatical in '07.  I'm transcribing a couple of trail journals this
year and enjoying that (Liteshoe's AT journal, and Freefall's PCT) and
also enjoy the chances I get to do a little trail magic on my commute
through Crawford Notch.

spike