[at-l] alcohol & the AT

I agree with the sentiment expressed in the original post on this topic.  I find all of these offensive on the trail.  Surely rules prohibiting these things (alcohol, smoking, and dogs) should not and could not be enforced -- and to do so very arguably would be against the very open nature of the trail.  Still, these seem to me to be incompatible with the trail.

I am ever amazed when I see someone smoking or a cigarette butt on the trail.  I think that I am in pretty decent shape, but I need and want every bit of lung capacity that I can muster to make it up the hills!  This one seems to me to be the most incompatible with the trail of all three.

I love both of my dogs and have almost always had a dog since childhood.  They are great companions!  But in the backcountry they scare wildlife and other hikers.  I never know when a dog approaches if he will be friendly, or not.  It can make for a few tense moments.

Alcohol impairs the senses . . . and the darn stuff is HEAVY and not nearly as vital as water (which of course is heavy too).

Tripp