[at-l] Bridge the Kennebec!

In a message dated 6/15/2003 10:31:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> "How much would it cost to bridge the Kennebec?" Not "several million" as
> someone wants you to think. The tab for Pochuck's mile of boardwalk and 140'
> suspension bridge was $800,000. Much of the ground work concerning design
> issues has already been done, and could be applied up here too.

        ***    I'm guessing no on that one TJ. The Pochuck project was
assisted by volunteers and donated time and workers from the local power company.
Their familiarity with telephone pole construction and rigging enabled the
project to succeed.  The Pochuck Bridge is mainly a telephone pole and cable
rigging suspension bridge spanning a moderate length crossing.  A Kennebec bridge
would most likely need to be contracted as NPS public infrastructure...

> It's an old school idea.

             *** The draining of the Everglades was also an "old school
idea." The open, sweeping river scene of the Kennebec crossing with its wooded
shores and gravel beds is a real wild experience for some. Many have never seen
such a river on its terms. I suppose a bridge would be better in some terms, but
those terms would certainly eliminate other less definable qualities. A canoe
ride is even older school...

> "Hey, the ferry place is really wide!" You ford at the wide spot, because
> it's shallowest there. You build bridges at narrows. Just upstream the
> Kennebec's only half as wide. There also a place where a midstream island might be
> used for a mid-span tower.
> And with the savings of at least $14500 a year, forward thinking people can
> see that a new bridge is an economical choice.
> Hey, if we can build the Pochuck project to eliminate a road walk, we can
> build a footbridge to save lives and money!

        ***  The Pochuck floods occasionally with a good hurricane or rainy
period, but it pretty much stays a reasonably moderate river with a flat flow.
The Kennebec is a whole other deal. If you placed a Pochuck Bridge type
structure in the Kennebec it would probably be broken up with the first spring melt.
The two rivers and bridges are totally uncomparable. I expect the Kennebec
would require a sturdy stone-piered structure with a wide strong base on each
pier and high enough to get above the occasional ice dam flood. Even this type
of bridge would probably be iffy.

      I'm not sure if realism yet requires a bridge at the Kennebec. To me,
the insertion of wild risk and canoe experience (or even better fording) is
something that is worth the inconvenience. To me, maybe taking a stand at the
river could be a way of fighting for the Trail's meaning. In 1985 I arrived at
the bank and set up camp in the grass. I had anticipated the crossing for days
and wondered over the Trail lore originating from it. My preparation for the
ford and following of advice given by other hikers got me across. It is still a
highlight in my memory...