[at-l] Suzi Homemaker

Got the idea to make some lightweight backpacking gear and
have this Brother LS-1217 sewing machine setup next to my
laptop. That so I can watch a New Jersey Grandma show me
the ropes on the CDROM video that comes with the sewing
machine. Woo, she's goin' too fast and using lots of terms
I've never heard of. Couldn't be easier! Why do I have the
image in my head of a tent being blown end-over-end across
an open field?

Looks like I'll have to read the book that came with this
thing too -- Grandma only gives the highlights of the
capabilities of my 'Brother LS-1217' as she calls the
thing. It should have some other kinda name if you ask me.
Like BiteBob. Brother BiteBob. Gives him a religious feel
like he's just out of the Friary. I can only imagine the
religious things I'd be saying the first time I run
Grandma's nasty looking needle into my fingertip.

Hey! I just found where all the acessories are hidden that
Grandma was talking about! They were hidden inside this
thing called an arm that goes under the needle foot. Boy
that coulda taken a week to find without directions.

Evidently the machine will do a bar tack which is what I
suspect needs done for some of the things on the GoLite
Breeze backpack. Bear had told me on the AT that he was
using a bar tack for everything he'd made when sewing his
backpack because it was the only stitch that held up to the
pounding. That's sorta what Grandma said too although she
was using beltloops on pants as the example. Beltloops?? We
don't need no steenkin' beltloops!

Wal-mart didn't have any more $48.00 sewing machines left
(probably an omen) so I bought more elaborate Brother
BiteBob for $98.00. Looks like I won't be sewing anything
for a while since I'm going to have to read the book that
came with Brother BiteBob to figure out how to get all
these threads working correctly. Grandma says you have to
have the threads all wound up and around a bunch of things
before you can sew. Heck, I didn't even know there was
thread coming from underneath as well as from above.  I
just figured the needle pounded the thread hard enough into
the material that the thread stayed there by friction.
Supposed to fill something called a bobbin and well, that's
probably going to take me the rest of the week to get
working.

I really should make a movie out of this with that web cam
I have. Heck, getting a web cam working is a piece of cake
compared to getting Brother BiteBob ready to roll.

Datto