[at-l] Winter hiking

> good pair of instep crampons would be quite sufficient.

Instep crampons are great because they're light, and provide good traction
on icey patches. However, I have problems with the four-pointers I have. In
particular I find them inconvenient on steep patchs because you have to
side-step in order to get any benefit out of the points. I also dislike
their tendency to gather balls of snow, unlike my 12-pointers. Last, they
stay on ok if laced well, but do have a tendency to loosen over time,
especially after a long side-step up hill.

I have heard of, but not seen six-point instep crampons. Perhaps they'd be
more useful. But, I think for a hike in the deep part of winter a real set
of strap-on crampons would be best. In fact, I might venture to stick my
neck out and say if I had to pick one, I'd take them over snowshoes in all
but the deepest snow.

wic