[at-l] Winter Hiking

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:06, William Neal wrote:
> I understand
> that some organizations (even public ones) are charging for rescues now
> (post rescue I would hope).  They are fed up with spending their money to
> rescue the totally clueless ones, those who use them as a taxi service, and
> those who assume they never have to worry.  And I know that there is some
> talk (at least unofficially) in areas along the Southern Appalachians to
> charge "tourists" for such services.

They began doing that in the White's several years ago. I think there is
some leniency in just who and how much they charge. The truly clueless
usually get the full bill. Those who are capable and simply ran afoul of
bad luck generally aren't charged. Telling the rescuer "but I had my
cell phone" is generally a good way to get charged the full bill <G>.

Lee I Joe