[at-l] Trip report - John Muir Woods

While the Trivial Advocacy list is down and flames are
flickering over on the AT-L, I thought I'd offer an entirely off
topic trip report.

Last May 22, a Wednesday as I recall, I decided to play hookey
after attending over 30 hours of fun filled Continuing Medical
Education hours, plus several committee meetings at the American
Psychiatric Association meeting, in deepest, darkest wilderness
of San Francisco. The Eldest Daughter (ED), took me to view her
non-profit foundation and abandoned me to bicycle the campus of
Stanford whilst she attended a class.

Curious campus with a bell tower that was hardly subtle.

Well, she eventually retrieved me and we drove toward the Golden
Gate Bridge, crossed and made a quick lunch of some of the best
burgers and fries ever made in a regional fast food emporium. A
quick drive along the foothills of Mt. Tamm led us to the
parking lot near the John Muir Woods, and the Dip-Sea Trail. We
began about 2:45.

A mildly challenging climb led us through a dark hardwood
forest, many ferns and a few views, to dump us next to a forest
service road that parralleled the trail along a ridge line
gradually ascending the mountain. This ridge was largely bare of
trees. It offered excellent views of the city and bridge, as
well as well south and west along the Pacific Coast. We met a
couple of hikers in much more long distance form, equally
enjoying a trail system that loops around San Francisco.

The heat was remarkable, 89F by the time we reached the Ben
Johnson Trail and a steeply descending trail. Over the next
mile, we dropped over 1000 feet and 20 degrees. The trees became
larger and the ferns and wild flowers more dense and numerous.
We were dumped unceremoniously at the asphalt paved John Muir
Woods Trail. The trail had all of the allure of a sidewalk,
except for the surrounding cathedral of Red Woods. There were
few hikers sharing the late afternoon trail, as we exited to the
Park Service parking lot. As we had walked the clockwise loop,
we learned that parking/users fees were waved.

This was a fine afternoon hike, with variety of
mini-environments, no rants, no raves and clearly defined
uniformed government representatives assisting the hikers. The
trail construction was impressive, with several bridges made
from huge local timbers. The steps and cribs were subtly
constructed. This was a very nice break from the city, far
closer than Springer from Atlanta. Consider it on your next trip
to the shakey hilly city.

OrangeBug