[at-l] Kennebec Bridge

Weary wrote:
>Well, I don't agree that it's a useless pissing match. But the answer to
>"why"
>is that I think it important to defend volunteer decision-makers from
>unsubstantiated attacks, since it is increasingly difficult to find people
>willing to take on these critically important jobs. I don't want volunteer
>control and maintenance of the Appalachian Trail to end, and it will if
>users
>discourage those who do the work needed to keep this a volunteer trail.

Yes, Bob - I know what you're doing.  The problem is that you don't.

Contrary to your assertion, the "volunteer decision-makers" weren't attacked
- it was the decision itself that was questioned - and rightfully so.
There's a large difference there.  What's really been "unsubstantiated" here
is your argument by assertion that the decision was right and defensible.

What you did was to take a casual comment made by TJ and blow it up into a
semi-major pissing match.  If you had shrugged your shoulders and let his
first comment go, it would have died right there.  Nobody, including me,
would have paid any attention to it, TJ wouldn't have expanded on it - and
it would have disappeared like the mist on a warm sunny morning.

If you hadn't then insisted on answering his second post with what was
patently fluff - along with  another  attack on TJ, then I wouldn't have
gotten involved.    In your own words "This truly is a silly argument."   So
- it's a silly argument and yet you don't see that it's a useless pissing
match?  Hmmm - must be that "liberal logic" thing again.

But you attacked again - and at that point, the issue became a big bright
blob on the radar screen. And I started to wonder what it was you were
trying to convince everyone about.  So I asked for information.  YOU are the
one who's the big shot in MATC - YOU are the one with the phone numbers -
and YOU are the one trying to convince everyone that MATC is squeaky-clean.
And yet even now you still haven't provided the information that several of
us have asked for.

Now - some background - for several years now I've been assigned to
independently evaluate contractor performance on a multi-billion dollar
contract.  As the boss said my first day on the job - "Keep them honest".
I'm very good at what I do - and I have fun with it.  And  I've forgotten
more about "odors" than most people will ever know - or even want to know
about.

Do you have any idea what kind of alarm bells your defensive actions and
attitude raised in my nasty suspicious mind.  In plain English - in BIG RED
FLAMING LETTERS - the questions arose - what's he trying to hide?  What did
MATC do that requires that much defense?

The questions arose, not because I believed MATC actually had anything to
hide - but because your "defense" of MATC was inappropriate to the
"threat-level" involved.  Now let's get this straight - I do this for a
living. And if one of the organizations I watchdog were to put up that kind
of smokescreen  over something that trivial, I'd be all over them like stink
on an ape because I'd KNOW beyond doubt that they'd screwed something up and
were trying to hide it.

In the words of the immortal bard - "Methinks the lady doth protest too
much".

So let's get to the punch line - I don't give a damn whether an organization
is "volunteer" or not - ALL organizations are subject to screw-ups.  Your
attitude is apparently that screw-ups in volunteer organizations should be
ignored simply because they are volunteer organizations.  And that the
actions and decisions of "volunteer" organizations should NOT be questioned.
  I won't even ask if that's a "liberal" attitude.

Regardless - either or both of those attitudes (and they generally come as a
pair) are some of  the fastest ways I know to ensure major problems for an
organization (any organization) - and the eventual degradation/destruction
of the organization's credibility and effectiveness.  And I know a lot of
ways for organizations to engineer their own demise.  I've been well-trained
in that regard.

I'm gonna use some of your own words here - but modify them -
I don't want volunteer control and maintenance of the Appalachian Trail to
end either, but it WILL end if ATC and the trail clubs aren't responsive to
the concerns of their members, contributors and other stakeholders.  And
that responsiveness includes openly and honestly answering questions about
their decisions, processes -- and finances.  It also means that when one of
the stakeholders asks a question, you don't blow them off - or attack them
for asking the question.

Straight talk - I'm a stakeholder in MATC.  I've given them money before and
I have a request from them for more money on my desk right now.  And I was
gonna write them a check.

Why don't you convince me that I should do so.  Because, as of right now, I
have some questions about the MATC decision making process - especially
about the Kennebec decision.  And if I don't get answers, they won't be
getting a check. I can just as happily send that money to Haiti and provide
a year of schooling for 4 children.

In fact - I'll make it easy for you - send me the name and phone number for
someone who has the answers - and I''ll them call them -- on my nickel.  It
won't even cost you.  Such a deal I'm offering you ..........

Finally, I don't think you have any clue how much credibility loss MATC
suffered as a result of your knee-jerk defense of something that didn't need
defending in the first place.  But I'll tell you for sure that it wasn't
zero.  Even if I'm the only one, there are now questions in my mind that
weren't there before.  I don't appreciate being fed "opinion and
speculation" when I'm directly asking for real facts.

Later,
Jim