[at-l] John the Ferryman

I remember that well. And I bet that I have a similar picture of Al Gomez
and Gene Allen boarding the canoe also. The season had closed, but we were
determined through hikers with damp cash in hand, and we persuaded John the
Ferryman to take out his canoe for one last mission. The Kennebec River was
wide and fast as I recall. Cold too. We were all bundled up, I was wearing
an LL Bean olive drab anorak. If we capsized we would have sunk like stones.
We were seasoned woodsmen and we knew how to handle ourselves in a canoe,
and it was another part of our life transforming adventure on the AT.
Charles Ferry AT Through hiker 1972