[at-l] Kennebec Crossing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walter Daniels" <wdlists@optonline.net>
To: <greyowl@rcn.com>; <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 8:06 AM
Subject: RE: [at-l] Kennebec Crossing

> Sorry but you are wrong in many details.
> >
> > Weary and all,
> >
> > I still diagree that the Federal Government Owns the AT.  The
> > trail does go through Federal Lands, but the Government does
> > not own the trail.  The last that I checked none of the ATC
> > employees work for the Federal Government and after spending
> > 2 hrs going through the FY 2003 budget I could not find a
> > line item that had anything to do with the AT (It could be
> > there, but it was not in any of the obvious places to look).
> >
> You have some strange notion of ownership. ...clip...

LOL! I am reminded of an exchange between Peter Fonda and the host of an
evening talk show (Mike ???) many years ago. The host asked where Peter was
living. Peter replied that he lived on his yacht and when asked if he didn't
own real property responded "You can't own land in the US". After a
blustering rebuke from the host Peter replied "Don't pay your taxes and
you'll find out who really owns your land". From Peter's point of view I
suppose the government really owns the whole country and we only lease
pieces of it.

Just remembering out loud. Please don't flame me over Peter Fonda's views on
property. I "own" a house (in partnership with the bank) on an acre of land
and can be as protective as the next guy of my "property rights", such as
they are.

Saunterer