[at-l] An unusual hike

I'm currently dreaming about a thru-hike, especially after my recent
section hikes, but I always run into the same problems.

I suspect that I could do a hike if I could break it into two years,
perhaps 3 months each year, giving me some time to work.  But I'd still
like to hike the whole trail in the space of a calendar year, so I'm
contemplating the best options.  I'd prefer not to hike in the winter,
and I like hiking with the crowd.

I'm thinking I could start on Katahdin in July, come off trail in
October, and return to Springer in April, finishing in July.  Has anyone
done this before? Are there any considerations that might make a
different plan better, such as bugs, mud, or bad weather?

Thanks in advance,
Six2