[at-l] North to South.

Wendy,

Reference your post, dated 5-9-03.

You addressed the question, “Do many thru-hike North to South?  What month
would it be wise to begin?”  You answered, “I vote for starting in the
middle and going north, then go back to the middle and go south.  This way
you get the best weather.”

Two things:

1)  There are those who will argue that any hiker who does not start at one
terminus and end at the other isn’t qualified to call his hike a Thru-Hike,
or himself a Thru-Hiker.  I’m not one of them but they do exist.  I also
don’t really care what these people think.  But, there will be hikers who
become upset when they are “disqualified.”

2)  Why not start at the middle and hike south?  You then have two options:
return to the middle and finish in Maine, or; go to Katahdin and finish in
the middle.  This schedule would allow you an earlier start, and less
concern with daily mileage.

Steve