[at-l] 2003 Wet Year

I agree, I am also glad not to be hiking the AT this year.  On my first AT
hike, it rained constantly in New England.  The leather lining in my boots
rotted out from the wetness, causing constant blisters on feet that hadn't
had a blister in months.  A couple of the stream crossings were really
difficult -- on one, I reached the far side and saw a note dated that
morning stating, "Do not try to cross this stream, it is too dangerous!"  On
another I met some southbound hikers who had been swept off their feet on
one crossing -- and I was alone.  Then there's the fact that it is hard
enough putting on the cold wet stinking clothes on the second or third wet
day - by the fifth or sixth, it gets really demoralizing.  Especially when
all the views are just hazy cloudy landscapes or "the great white sheet".

We finally got a break from the weather here in Maryland.  Because of the
soggy soil we just did a 13 mile hike on the C&O, (between mile posts 17 and
23) where at least the path is wide enough to get around the worst of the
wet spots.  The Potomac River is in full flood - an amazing sight.  Saw lots
of people, of course, but also a beaver, a couple of snakes, a new (to me)
lizard, a flock with 10 baby geese, several mallards, wild iris, mountain
laurel, a couple of horses -- and the occasional glimpse of sunshine.  We
heard some amazingly loud bullfrogs in one swampy section.  I thought it was
a chainsaw or motor boat at first.  Noone was boating the river, it was way
too dangerous, but there were several kayaks in the canal. Lots of
fishermen, including some successful ones.  One guy had a fat perch and
another had a huge catfish.  By going north of Great Falls, we had hoped to
avoid the usual crowds, but it was too nice a day (not pouring buckets) and
a lot of folks had the same idea.  Still - we had a nice walk, even if it
was canal walking.

Ginny