[at-l] Where germs live

It is the final concentration the matters, not the concentration of the
concentrated product. Clorox is 6.25% hypochlorite IIRC or 62500 parts per
million (ppm), to get good disinfection you need to get about 1-10 ppm in
the water you are disinfecting, the higher the concentration the more
quickly it works.

Commercial grade hypochlorite is 12.5%, I know we buy it 1500 gallons at a
time. So there isn't that much difference. You could use gasious chlorine
but there is a move away from that because of evacuation regulations in the
case of a leak. For a ton cylinder of chlorine you have to evacuate an area
five miles downwind of the cylinder. So many plants have switched over to
hypochlorite or other products. We did.

The reason that the 12.5% is not widely available is that it is not very
stable, a tank full is only good for months, it starts degrading the day it
is made.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"