From: Platy Hiker [mailto:platyhiker@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 10:01 AM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: nealb@midlandstech.com
Subject: RE: [at-l] Where germs live

William,

Did the TV station story include any information about what "germs" were
found?  E-coli?  Giardia?  (What is commonly found in saliva, anyway???)
Mold?

I know that when I've sometimes left partially filled water bottles standing
for a few weeks after a hike, that a film sometimes form inside the bottle.
I clean the film away by using a long handled spoon to manuveur a sponge
around inside the bottle, using hot water and soap.

I've also noticed that sometimes I get block spots in the threads of the
lids of Nalgene bottles.  (I'm guessing that's mold.)  Those are truly a
pain to get rid of - the sponge doesn't easily git into all of the small
spaces.  I sometimes use an old toothbrush to scrub, or wad up bits of paper
towels to get into the awkward spots.

I guess the one useful thing we can get out of the article is that hikers
should regularly give water bottles a good cleaning.  AT thru-hikers can
make that chore easier by taking advantage of the plentiful hot-water supply
available during town-stops.

Platypus

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?