From: Bob C. [mailto:ellen@clinic.net]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 8:02 PM
To: J Bryan Kramer
Cc: pmags@yahoo.com; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re[4]: [at-l] Mt. Reagan in NH

>"...If it was up to you it would probably be named Mt. Josep Stalin."
thinks
>JBK.

No. But I would suggest President Johnson, who signed the original bill
protecting the trail, or President Carter, who first provided the money. The
simple fact, obvious to all except the bigoted, is that some presidents,
recognizing that few, if anyone, can own the land needed for long distant
trails, support public acquisition of land needed for long distant trails.

I'm truly fascinated that almost 20 years after 1984, George Orwell's
concept of
"doublethink" remains alive and well. Folks can still love trails and love
the
outdoors, but oppose all government efforts to achieve access to trails and
the
outdoors. I know "R" this is "off topic." Even though there is no topic more
critical to the future of trails.

Weary