[at-l] Umbrellas?

I haven't,  but I've got a friend who regularly backpacks with an umbrella.
He actually attached some clamps to his frame so as to shield him and his
pack (mostly his pack).  He preferred straight handled umbrellas.  Mostly
golf umbrellas since they are usually larger than the average bear, I mean
average umbrella.  He also tried to find non-metallic ones, but they are far
and few between and are usually expensive -- I saw one made out of bamboo
but it cost over $100.  He also carried a "super" rubber band to keep the
umbrella tightly rolled up when not using; they were easy to wrap around the
frame ends when he was using the umbrella and were less hassel than most
umbrella covers.  He preferred to get cheap ones from Wal-mart, K-mart,
etc.: They were cheap and eaisly replaced if they became damaged while
hiking.

Now I have seen a weird double umbrella that looked like two umbrellas
trying to mate.  And I have seen an umbrella hat -- kind of like a small
umbrella with the handle removed.

My problems with umbrellas are two: 1) Lightening strikes. & 2) Rain that
drives so hard that it gets up under the umbrella.

For the first, I would just "hunker down" during lightening storms.  For the
second, I would carry a cheap, light poncho or tarp to cover the pack and
myself.

William, The Wetback Turtle
-- Wetback because on one hike I stayed so wet the whole time that I thought
I was Lloyd Bridges.