[at-l] DEER TICK REMOVAL AND ADVICE.

Mike,

Reference your post, dated 5-28-03.

I live about 45 minutes east of the Shenandoah National Park.  Ticks here
are much more plentiful than in the park.  I did return from a hike in SNP,
today, and found a few embedded small ticks.  I just pulled them out,
squeezed them between my thumbnails, and buried them in the trash.

“I NOTICED AN ITCH AND THEN SAW LOCALIZIED UNEVEN RASH ...”

This happens to me several times each week during tick season.

“... EVENTUALLY PINCHED IT OFF ...”

I believe the “correct” protocol is to grasp the tick firmly, taking care
not to squeeze it, with pointed-tip tweezers (which I’m sure all good hikers
carry with them at all times) and pull the tick slowly and steadily straight
out from the skin.  It is quite likely the tick hasn’t “injected” you; don’t
squeeze it out of him.

“... SHOULD FURTHR ACTION BE TAKEN?”

I agree with Shane.  If you’re worried, see a physician.

“WHAT PERCENTAGE OF TICKS ARE INFECTED IN THIS AREA (IM ADJACENT TO
SHEN.NAT. PARK)?”

I don’t know.  I think (note, “THINK”) lyme disease of any significance is
fairly new to this area, BUT it is here, now.

“ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED IF IM JUST BEING PARANOID LET ME KNOW.”

If the tick bite is nothing, then, yeah, you’re being “paranoid.”  If you
contract Lyme Disease from the bite, but you see a physician in time, you’ll
be recognized as being “wise.”  People will buy your book.  It’ll be made
into a movie.  Robert Redford will play your part.

“... MY NEW HOSTEL... LOCATED .5 (mi ?) OFF A.T.  EXIT ON COMPTON GAP TRAIL
JUST BEFORE EXITING SHEN.NAT.PARK GOING NORTH.  IM THE FIRST HOUSE YOU SEE
WHEN YOU HIT THE ROAD.”

Let me see if I understand the directions correctly.  Please, tell me where
I"m wrong.

1)  Compton Gap Trail:  Would that be the AT, after it crosses Skyline Drive
for the last time?

2)  Does the Compton Gap Trail continue straight ahead, when the AT takes a
90 degree left turn, with both trails still in the park?

3)  The AT soon leaves SNP, then shortly thereafter drops down a short rocky
wall, and crosses a private drive, coming uphill from the left, and
continuing up to the right.  Is this the “ROAD” you speak of?

4)  If it's dark, and I don't see a house, what then?  Left?  Right?

“... IM IN WINGFOOT  (“Smile, when you say that,” in these parts.)  BOOK
...”

Steve

P.S.  If you hang around this site, you'll eventually understand the
Wingfoot caution.