[at-l] AT trip report Day 3

Tuesday, May 6
Hot Springs

Leapfrog and 10-kid don't know where to start with
packing up their sodden gear.  I eat, trying to boost
my energy.  My packing up is a lot easier than theirs,
except for the part where I keep my gear from rolling
down hill.

Once packed up, we head back out into the storm.
Going up the first hill, I feel weak and tired.  The
world is a little swimmy, and I'm a lot nauseated.
A hiker moving pretty fast passes me.  I ask him to
have 10-kid and Leapfrog wait for me.  They're not
very far ahead, but they can't hear my shouts over
the rain and wind.

I tell them I'm bailing out at the next road.  "We'll
come with you!"  they chorus.  I start in on the apologies
and explanations, saying they can keep going and
I'll meet up with them in a couple of days.  They don't
care.  They want out too.  Nobody feels great and
we're all cold and wet.

The next road is Max Patch Road.  10-kid gets there first.
Just as she reaches the road, a forest service truck
pulls up.  The driver rolls down the window an inch.
We ask him to call the outfitter to shuttle us into town.
He agrees, then drives off.  We start walking the "quarter mile"
(more like a mile and a quarter) down to the intersection
just to stay warm.

A van pulls up.  The driver is the owner of Standing Bear
Farm.  He's shuttling slackpackers.  He offers to take us
back to his place and bring us back tomorrow.  10-kid and
Leapfrog want to go, but I want to go to Hot Springs.  My
companions glare at me but decide to stay with me rather
than get in the warm van without me.  They promise unpleasant
death if our called-for shuttle doesn't arrive.

The driver checks with us again on his way back out.  I am
so going to die if that shuttle doesn't come.

The mailman drives by and tells us we're walking the wrong
way.  He better watch out.. he could die too.

The forest service truck comes back.  The driver gets out and
waits with us.  We ask him to radio in and make sure the shuttle
is really coming.  We're getting cold.  10-kid is turning blue.
Leapfrog is shaking.  I'm numb.  We group hug for extra warmth.

A big old truck painted in camo drives up.  It's the Hot Springs
Fire Department!  We're being rescued!  Not quite the shuttle
we expected.  We are pathetically grateful to see him.  I don't
say too much, concentrating on keeping my stomach contents
inside me.

The drive to Hot Springs is long and windy.  Johnny tells us
about washed out roads, high water, and tornadoes.  Suddenly
it makes all kinds of sense to get out of the woods.

He drops us off at Elmer's and refuses payment.  Awww..

There is room at Elmer's!  Paul the cook hands us all dry towels
as we walk in the door.  He starts the house tour as the power
goes out.  The power stays out until midnight.  Gee, I guess we
can't do laundry today.

In sort of dry clothes again, we go across to the Smokey Mountain
Diner to see if we can get food.  They'll serve us anything cooked with
gas, so we have a hot meal.  Boy, that was good.

We hear that everybody in town is closing up due to lack of electricity.
The hot springs are flooded.  Dang!  No soaking for me.

The sun comes out for a little bit.  We hang our gear, hoping to dry it
at least a little.

We have dinner with Elmer.  It's fantastic, but I have to excuse
myself and race out of the room.  This nausea thing bites.  Leapfrog
persuades me to come back in the room and have some mint tea.

I fall asleep almost immediately afterward and sleep forever.

-amy