[at-l] Pot Cozzy's

Chase

Two observations:

First, you asked, "is 20* a significant amount to the cold weather camper?"

My response is "doing what?"

If you are using the cozy to cook pasta, bean, rice, etc concoctions, my
guess is "yes."  Most of these need 20--30 minutes at temperatures very near
boiling.  I question if the "Pizza Zip" cozy would do the job in cold
weather.

OTOH, freeze dried and other "boil and pour" meals (which have 5 or 20
minute "wait periods") just need relatively warm/hot water to reconstitute
and the 20* is probably not a significant additional amount of heat lose.
In fact, the 220* to 137* drop is probably well within their needs.  So, the
difference between a drop of 220* to 137* vs. 220* to 157* seems to say
"leave the 'Pizza Zip' home" for this application.

So I suspect in cold weather the "Pizza Zip" cozy is too little insulation
to cook pasta, bean, rice, etc concoctions and not needed for "boil and
pour" cooking.  As always YMMV and only real field test will tell.

Second, you speak of a close cell cozy as bulky.

My closed cell fits around my pot when packed.  While bulky in one since, it
takes up very little additional space when pack this way.  My pot w/o cozy
6.25 diameter x 3.5 high cylinder.  W/ cozy it is a 7.25 diameter x 4.5 high
cylinder.

So, (if my math is correct) the cozy takes up an additional 67.7 CI -- or
the additional space of about a quart zip lock bag filled 1-1/3 inches
thick.

Some, (such as Jan Lite-shoe) do not use the foam base -- placing the pot on
a table with the foam cylinder over it.  In my case this would bring the
thickness of the equivalent quart zip lock down to less than an inch.

Chainsaw