From: "The Weathercarrot" <weathercarrot@hotmail.com>
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 11:45 AM
Subject: [at-l] Naming Katahdin

here's a question for ya'll -

So I was labeling the final map of the project last night, and it occured to
me that there are three different names for the northern terminus of the AT.
They are:

Baxter Peak
Mount Katahdin
Katahdin

of course, Baxter Peak is is just one of a few peaks that make up katahdin,
but i don't want to use both names - just one. The more interesting thing
about this is that there has been some debate as to whether Katahdin has a
"Mount" in front of it or not. It's on most any map you can find of the
region, but I've run into enough people and situations that purposefully
leave out the "mount", including the Data Book and the sign at the summit. I
have always personally preferred leaving it out as well. I think it just
sounds better that way.

any thoughts?

wc