[at-l] Hiking in PA

Perigrinus wrote:

>  One question that I have,  the shelters are all close to the road,  how bad are they >frequented by party goers and is there tent sites around the shelters?  I am more of >a tenter than a shelter rat.
>
>  Thank you.
>
>  Peregrinus :)

Perigrinus

I have only my one trip to go on, but there was no sign nor any register reports of problems.  Remember, locals are unlikely to walk more than a few hundred yards to party.  What they want is a road for their pickup directly to the front door of the shelter.  To a hiker, a mile from a road is a short distance, to them it may as well be a light year.  And most shelters are climbs UP from roads since roads tend to go through gaps in the mountains.

There are tenting areas around all the shelters to the best I can recall.

The only place real close to a road is the Dahlgren Back Packer campground very near Turner's Gap.  Since there is no shelter there, it would be unlikely to attract anyone (there is a free shower however - a real plus).

Ensign Cowall is somewhat close to a secondary road but we had no problems nor was there any mention in the register.  The rest are a fair walk from any roads.

The fact that it was still early in the season and it was rainy may have helped in this regard.

Good luck.  A nice section and fairly easy.  Do all the side trips to views.  Annapolis Rocks were outstanding.

Pb