[at-l] Re: Just Wondering

In a message dated 5/23/03 2:18:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sloetoe@yahoo.com writes:

> From: greyowl@rcn.com
>
> In past years I have noted that eventually the entries start to
> get further apart and shorter in length.  This usually happens
> after the hikers pass through PA.  I think that it may have

> something to do with making it to Harper???s Ferry and then the

> unofficial and semi-official half way points.   I think the
> trudge (or may drudge) factor sets in.  One stops enjoying the

> trail and all they can look forward to is finishing the trail.

> Haven???t done any deep  thinking about it.  Just wondering.

I hiked with thru hikers the first 100 miles of the Long trail last August.
I talked to some that I had been following on trail journals and asked them
about that very thing.  My conclusion from the different hikers was that when
they started the trail the people around them were interested in their hike and
they liked telling about it.  As time went on priorities changed.  Most were
enjoying the experience and it was enough for them at that time.  Others being
excited for them was no longer necessary and the need to keep them informed
had deminished.  I seen a few that were "trudging"  but most were in the moment
and were not concerned with memories or history.  A few even told me to slow
down and quit watching the clock and don't worry about the miles.  One young
lady told me I needed to "Bring the S to the front".  I didn't understand for a
couple of weeks then while I was writting in my journal I seen what she meant.
  Miles ---> Smile

Clyde