Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:37:03 -0500
From: "Shane Steinkamp" <>
Subject: RE: [at-l] HOW DID YOU GET TO BE A WANDERER
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

> HOW and where and why do you think you have become a hiker or an
> outdoor wanderer. What where the conditions and how did it evolve
> you.

How: Bad luck, good luck, Colin Fletcher, and insanity.

Oh, and a bad Bible translation.  Felix asked me to read the translation of
St. Luke that he was working on, and somehow the words 'backpack' and
'cross' got confused in that scripture that says, "Pick up your cross and
follow me..."  Could have happened to anyone.

(If that's too sacrilegious and someone is offended, then I'm sorry.  I'm
not sorry that you're offended, I'm just sorry.)

Where: Anywhere I could.

Why:  http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/gut.htm

Shane