[at-l] AT Hike Report: Day 8

Sunday, 03/16/03   Tray Mountain Shelter     7.7 miles

    The Sun came out for a little while today and the temperature got up to
65 degrees for about one hour.  Then back to rain, fog and 45-50 degrees.
    We hiked from Blue Mountain to Tray Mountain Shelter and campsites.  We
walked through Tray Gap where Pittsburgh organized a trail angel feast for
this crew of thru hikers.  We missed it by one day.  Yesterday was the feast
and yesterday the Slow Hiker team camped at this location.
    The campsite and shelter are full.  We arrived early and were able to set
up our tent in a spot that would get great views if the clouds ever clear.
There are two local guys heading south on a spring break hike.  They live in
Dahlonega so are hiking home.  They said something about forgetting some
essential gear (stove maybe) so had to modify their hike.  I believe they
were cooking on an open fire.  Seattle was already settled into the shelter.
As soon as he arrived he did 100 situps and a series of stretches.  You can
take the man out of the military but can?t take the military out of the man.
Seattle left camp at 6:00 am this morning.
    A young guy from NH has matched up with three college kids, two girls and
a guy, that he met on the trail.  They are all hoping to complete a thru
hike.  The college guy is using some fluorescent green ski poles as hiking
poles.  I?m calling these people Hew Hampshire and the college kids.
Jennifer and F-Stop made it into camp.  Jennifer is in the shelter and F-stop
is tenting near us.  Kevin arrived and set up his new tarp.  It took him a
few tries to get a way that he liked.  There is a guy named Al who has been
in the shelter for two days here with his dog, Sugar.  Sugar has not gotten
used to having so many people around and has bitten three people so far.
Kevin was bitten but said it was just a pinch.  Did not break the skin.
    It is raining again and very cloudy.  We dried some of our clothing by
our nice camp fire.  I talked with Regan and Kevin for a long time.  They are
great people.  It would be nice to be able to walk all the way to Katahdin
with them.  Bed at 10:00 pm.  One of my later nights.