[at-l] Dear Earl...

Dear Earl,

Felix here. I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and thought I'd
write and tell you so. It's been over a year since you've passed, now.
Tomorrow will be two, and then ten. Such is life and death, I suppose.

You probably wouldn't remember me. We talked a few times. Mostly trivial
things, which I like best. I made you laugh once. I'll never forget
that. I smile now when thinking about it.

I always felt kind of sorry for you. People made you an icon, when it
was so obvious that was the last thing you wanted to be. You graciously
did what folks asked of you, even though it seemed to go against what
you really, in your heart, wanted to do. I don't even think people know
why they looked up to you. The celebrity? Maybe. Though, it was
celebrity they put on you whether you wanted it or not. I'm not sure
they ever saw, or knew, the real Earl.

I always liked you because you were just some old guy. Some old guy who
hiked. You were how I hope I am, if I'm lucky enough to live that long.
You reminded me a lot of my grandfather. I miss you for that. I miss
him, too. He lives next door to me. Well, his body does. His mind has
gone away, mostly. You were lucky yours didn't leave you.

You were also lucky you and David Donaldson found each other. You were
both exactly what the other needed at that time. Life is nice when it
lets things like that happen.

Well, I suppose I've gone on long enough. I have a shoebox in the
basement I keep letters like this. There is one there to an uncle of
mine who died before I got to know him well enough. There's one to a
cousin who died far before it was fair. There's even one to me. It tells
me who I think I am now, so I can read about it after my mind has left
me. Maybe I'll remember it then, if I want to. Hopefully someday I'll be
able to deliver them to you guys myself. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Take care, Earl

Felix