[at-l] AT Hike: Day 4

Wednesday, 03/12/03  Jarrard Gap      8.5 miles

    John and I awoke about 7:00 AM, but Regan had a slow start today.  She
wanted to reorganize her pack.  We did not leave camp until after 9:30 AM.
Regan told us to leave without her but we did not want to do that.  We knew
we were eventually going to part but John and I both felt it was too soon.
The temperature rose quickly from 55 degrees to 75 degrees as we hiked over
Granny Top.  We passed several groups of college students on spring break.
    Some great views today.  We stopped often on the trail to take it all in.
  Regan was complaining about chafing from the hip belt on her backpack.  I
loaned her my full size pack towel to tuck into her hiking pants to help
protect her skin from the chaffing.  I always bring this camp towel but never
use it as a towel.  It has been used several times by different people to pad
various part of the anatomy.
    We did not make it to Wood?s Hole Shelter as planned.  Instead we camped
at Jarrard Gap where we met several of our hiking friends setting up camp for
the night.  The family of Three - Lynnette ?Lanetblanc?(whitenose), Aubrey,
and Kelly Rae ?Lil Monkey? - were camped here when we arrived.  We crossed
paths with them several times during the day.  They tend to move faster than
we do but stop more often and for longer periods of time.
    Regan had a great day with the pack towel.  No more chaffing or bruising.
 She really moved out on level ground and cranked on the ups.  She ran out of
steam about 3:00 PM so we found a stream and stopped for some dinner.
    It is 8:46 PM.  Warm about 60 degrees.  Jennifer is sleeping in her
hammock tonight.  Sky is clear.  Good night.