[at-l] Medical Risks of Wilderness Hiking

Hmmmm. I had sort of hoped that this particular thread had died. But OB seems to
think it important, so I'll repeat the essentials of my involvement.

 Here's how it went.

>"...Soap and water handwashing will not occur among those practicing LNT."
>proclaimed OB.

I reply, "Hmmm. 'To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from
streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained
dishwater,' is the recommendation of the Leave No Trace web site."

 I sign off with these words, "Weary, who thinks the "Leave No Trace" effort
 tends to be ignored by most hikers, because practically speaking it isn't
 possible to spend much time in wild country without leaving a trace.

 "However, we ought to at least try to get the recommendations right."

I now add: I don't have a clue about the efficacy of alcohol gel vs. soap and
water. But I do have questions and observations. Most of us go through life,
taking showers and washing our face and hands with soap.

Is alcohol gel truly an appropriate substitute, either on or off the trail? I'm
sure alcohol will kill a lot of tiny creatures (bacteria, maybe viruses, and the
like)

Alcohol gels strike me as possibly useful in a medical situation. If I had to
apply first aid to a fellow hiker who had been injured, a bit of disinfectant
surely would be useful in ensuring that I didn't introduce an infection into an
open cut.

 I'm equally sure that an alcohol gel would disinfect my hands as well as soap.
 What I'm not sure of is whether it would work as well as soap and water in
 doing the things that many of us wash to achieve, i.e. getting rid of the
 visual dirt and grime.

 Assuming, OB, that I trip and fall face first into a mud puddle. Alcohol in
 whatever form may kill all the germs present. But preferring not to walk into
 town or a shelter with even disinfected mud coating my face, hands and other
 body parts, I generally just omit the alcohol and use a slice of soap and a bit
 of water to flush the evidence away.

 None of the leave no trace guidelines that I have seen tell me that properly
 used soap and water violates these rules.

 So, OB, what is the evidence that you have found to suggest that, "Soap and
 water handwashing will not occur among those practicing LNT?"

 Weary