[at-l] April '04 Thru-Hike

Scott,

Reference your post, dated 5-17-03, advising:

1)  “... I am planning a thru-hike beginning in April of 2004.  ...  I am an
above-the-knee amputee, and I use a prosthesis that is controlled by a
computer microchip, (which) is battery-dependant.  ...  The battery has to
be recharged every 24 hours.  ...  a solar charger was developed.”

2)  You have planned to take preparatory hikes of  “several smaller trails
...  (E.g.,) the Laurel Highlands in Western Pa.”

3)  “I am looking for a ‘guide’, so to speak, ... to be with me should I run
into trouble.”

Reference #1:  Sitting here, listening to the rain, waiting days for
sunshine without letup, I am mindful the Appalachian Trail has fittingly
been called “a long green tunnel.”  Does the battery still require daily
recharging?

Is the solar charger, and/or battery, designed to accomodate days without
good sunlight?

Is the microchip sensitive to moisture?

Reference #2:  Excellent idea.

Reference #3:  I am not the right person.  I think the chances of finding
someone are very good.  You may improve your chances by contacting the
Appalachian Trail Conference and requesting their assistance.

Please send posts updating your efforts, successes and, yes, even failures.

All the best.

Steve