[at-l] day hike

"> what is the minimum amount of equipment you take for a day hike?
> asks  Linda

  It truly depends on where your day hike will be. I take day hikes daily --
  well, as often as a busy retirement schedule allows. My day hikes run around 5
  miles or so -- occasionally 10. On most I'm a mile at most from an access
  road. And if so, I carry a few snacks, maybe a water bottle, always a compass,
  a tiny pulsar light, a map, usually a camera....

  Sometimes, my day hikes are conditioning hikes for a longer expedition. In
  that case, I tend to carry an almost full pack -- not because I need it, but
  because I  need the conditioning.

   Weary