[at-l] Filtering water

Hey,

Saturday, May 10, 2003, 10:34:08 AM, you wrote:

Sac> If it's not moving, I normally don't drink it, but I may boil it and use it
Sac> in meals.  I can't recall any place on the AT where  it's necessary to drink
Sac> pond water.

Sac> Sly

There seemed a lot of places where I had to resort to drinking pond
water on the AT. There are also a lot of places where the shelter
water supply is a pond. Especially in the northern states...

And just to add my 2 cents, I was really strict about filtering my
water and avoiding contaminating my water containers with unfiltered
water. I was fortunate enough never to come down with a bout of
diarrhea. But I was also fastidious about washing my hands after I
used the bathroom. There seemed to be a lot of people that I knew that
had a bout of diarrhea somewhere along the trail. A good portion of
those were slack about treating or filtering water as well, but it was
just something they lived with until it finally went away. The cause
of that I can't really deduct, bad water, poor sanitation, or a
million other causes.

Scooby