[at-l] Medical risks of wilderness hiking

I've been referred your article's abstract after interest expressed among
an e-list of AT hikers (AT-L). Frankly, I'm critical of the study design as
I understand it from the abstract, interpreting it more as a retrospective
self report of self selected hikers. I am impressed if this involved hikers
with at least 80 days in the woods or along the trail (it is fairly
suburban in places).

I am very keen to know of any overlap in the fastidious few with good
toilet hygiene and those with slack water gathering practices. I'm also
keen to know the definitions of diarrhea among this group. Episodic loose
stools associated with binge eating on town stops or over exertion
shouldn't be counted.

My expectation is that fecal oral contamination of food and hands is the
strongest risk factor among long distance hikers. I'd love to see a study
that sent blinded groups with alcohol gel versus lanolin lotion to be used
on a twice daily basis. I don't expect there is any money in such a truly
difficult prospective study.

Would you be able to email me a copy of your article? Congratulations on
grabbing the attention of Yahoo and many hikers.

Bill Thorneloe, MD
Smyrna, GA