[at-l] Re: Water Treatment Survey in American Journal of Medicine

I saw that article also on Yanoo, but I do not know the journal cited. I
haven't received this week's JAMA yet, which was the most likely misquoted
version of the journal's name. The news article says little about the
selection and design of this study. It has obvious flaws as a retrospective
self report format.

The key quote is:
      "We found that a decreased incidence of diarrhea was associated with
consistent water disinfection, especially of surface water sources; routine
cleaning of cookware; and routine hand washing with soap and water," they
write.

The brief study does nothing to clarify which areas of sanitation are most
important. Given the apparent selection of hikers with as little as 7 trail
days, Giardia and Crypto shouldn't be well represented by this survey. Food
poisoning from poorly cleaned gear and fecal/oral contamination from
toileting practices still seems more likely - at least to me. A better
study would have taken cultures of fingernails, pots, spoons and then asked
the questions. A prospective study that would practice LNT would provide
alcohol gel to hikers for sanitation post toilet. There ain't no money for
such studies.

Soap and water handwashing will not occur among those practicing LNT. You
need water. LNT discourages defecation near water - for obvious reasons.

OrangeBug