[at-l] chlorine as water treatment

You were _so_close_ to the right conclusion.

Objective research demonstrates that all FDA approved filters, purifiers,
bleaching agents and such will kill water borne pathogens, when used with
manufacturers instructions and with procedures best completed in Dexter's
Lab. You are correct that laundry bleach has never been FDA approved or
tested for such a purpose, but is commonly used as a disinfectant from the
streets of Bejing to the toilets of High Point, NJ.

What objective research demonstrates is that water is only one vector for
fecal-coliform and parasitic infections that attack hikers in the back
country. Thus far, no one has compared efficacy of water treatment versus
hand washing after toileting in the backcountry. There is much more money
to be made selling filters and other water treatments than there is in
selling alcohol gels for hygiene. Advertising tends to use fear of
infestation with pictures of bird dumping and beaver scat.

Use whatever water treatment turns you on, or even forego the weight and
expense. Never let anyone's hands approach your food and cooking gear.
Avoid shaking hands and other social graces.

OrangeBug