From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Orange Bug
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 7:05 PM
To: at-l
Subject: [at-l] Tough

Hummingbird wondered how a hiker could amputate his right arm below the
elbow. I suspect he figured that he had to take a radical action, as he
was dead without water, as witnessed by the Backpacker saga of the man
whose legs were pinioned by boulders.

What I'm keen to hear is what tool the mountaineer/hiker used to
complete this amputation. I suspect he cut dead necrotic/gangrenous
tissue (otherwise he would have bled out), but how he cut bone is a
mystery. I wonder if he will publish a gear report.

Bill....